Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Horse trading in building my house

One topic of discussion at tonight's town council meeting was housing or rather lack thereof. While the council was in a closed door session I told the other attendees how I literally did horse trading in building my house in the 1980s. An individual can be the contractor on their own home. I drew up the layout of where the home and septic would go. I can't remember where I bought the plans for the house but I sure got an education on building codes, etc.

I had a prime contractor build the house to the point I could move in complete with a 4 x 8 foot piece of plywood covering one of the door openings. All the extras like the notty pine Ceiling came later as money as allowed.

Now to the horse trading in building my house. After moving to Arizona I bought a horse that was too much for me. I traded the horse for a three axle trailer that I had no use for but it didn't eat. Back to the plywood door covering. My original contractor wanted the three axle trailer so I traded it for a lovely door and a 8 x 36 foot concrete pad.

Horse trading at it's finest.

No comments: