Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Review of decades of electronic gizmos writen three years ago

I finally worked up the courage to inset the 512 gigabyte mini SD card into my new S6 tablet. No problem with the tablet recognizing the increase storage so I finally called up Verizon to get internet service transferred from the S3 tablet to the S6 tablet. I asked, by the way what does it mean when it says the SIM card is missing. The people at tech support were very patient and understanding. We were trying to determine where the SIM card went. The tech person was looking at a schematic that didn't match my tablet. Finally and for about the fourth time I opened the expansion card slot. Actually there's two cards there, one is the 128g GB card provided by Verizon and the other is the 512gb that I installed. I made the comment that the 128 card says Sim on it. It finally dawned on me that is where the SIM card goes. So one very small compartment on the tablet has two mini memory cards and the tiny 128 card has a little bitty space to slip the little itty bitty SIM card into, about the size of the fingernail on my little finger. I've looked through all the packaging and I couldn't find the SIM card so they're sending me another one Monday. Later I tried to make a phone call only to find out that it was deactivated by mistake, likely mine. Service was quickly restored, a blond thing? It's nearly four decades since I bought my first Sinclair 1 kilobyte computer that I could hook up to my TV and write I think three lines of Basic and run the greeting of the day through an endless loop. Then a Commodore 64 and after that a 30-pound Compaq lunchbox computer, later a windows computer that I had to keep shuffling the firmware in because of interrupt problems and then on to a series of laptops and tablets including Kindle readers. Through it all, progress is wonderful. Still being a bit of a prepper, I have a few small electronic gizmos and a solar activated charger in Faraday bags just in case of either an EMP or a solar event. 2022 update: the tablet works great but the 512 mini card was a bust, downsized and all is well.

No comments: