Thursday, January 4, 2024

Temporarily without a vehicle

 After many years of faithful service My old Van has been in the shop for an extended period of time. Being without a vehicle took me back decades to 1963 and Michigan State University. After my freshman year I divorced the father of my two toddlers. We had been living in married housing and my children and I were allowed to keep our reasonably priced apartment.


So here I was a full-time student with kids to provide for and no vehicle.  As luck would have it and as a polio survivor I was eligible for Vocation Rehabilitation which paid for my tuition, books and fees. Plus I was also eligible for Aid to Dependent Children (ADC).The child support I received just about covered babysitter expensives but no more. Between ADC and student loans I was able to keep our home together and feed my children. It took me years after graduation to pay off my student loans. MSU had great bus service that included city service in addition to campus. The cost was a real bargain at 12 dollars a term in the and my children could ride for free.

So with my van in for extension repairs I thought do we have public transportation available here in little Quartzsite, AZ. Yes we do and at reasonable prices. Now I know myself too well and I'm spoiled after decades of driving, however, good to know there is bus service should l need it.

No comments: